I’ve won a year’s supply of Chick-fil-A. Twice.
It’s actually way easier than you think to win a year’s supply of Chick-fil-A! So why don’t more people do it? Beats me. You can find all of the official details here, but if you’re too lazy to read the document, the main points you need to do and know:
- Are you over 18? Good. Anyone can camp, but only over 18s can win the supply!
- Check ID to make sure you live in one of the qualifying zip codes for that opening
- You show up at 6am the day before the grand opening to register to camp out
- You will be “locked-in” at the Chick-fil-A property until 6am on the Grand Opening
- If you survive urban camping for the night, you win free Chick-fil-A for the year!
The promotion is called First 100 because there are only 100 1-Year Supply cards given out. FYI: a year’s supply card comes pre-loaded with 52 #1 chicken sandwich combo meals. It’s intended to be 1 meal a week, but you can technically take 51 friends and deplete the card in 1 go the day you get it, if you’d like…
In 2014, we arrived at 6am to register and there were over 150 people there. Our names were thrown into a raffle, and both my friend and I made the cut and were allowed to stay to spend the full 24 hours camping out. I wasn’t even going to camp out this past month when one opened around the corner from my house… but when I passed the property at 3pm and saw only a handful of tents (yes, tents.. more on that in a minute) set up, I inquired and they said they only had 16 people registered to camp so far that day, and we were welcome to join whenever! When we returned at 6pm with our things in tow, I was only #26. When my parents arrived at 9pm, they were only #63 and #66. So, sometimes you don’t have to necessarily camp for a full 24 hrs… which I think makes it extra nice!
Your fellow campers will be a variety of levels of prepared for your urban camping adventure. I didn’t know what to expect my first time, so we only brought lawn chairs and some blankets like some urban camper noobs.
THIS PAST TIME THO…
First 100 Camping List
- For sleeping: smol tent, air mattresses or sleeping mats, pillows and blankets. Also bring a sleeping mask and ear plugs! I cannot stress those last two enough. The parking lot lights stay bright all night, and you’ll most likely hear the traffic all night too. Worried about oversleeping and missing your chance to collect your free CFA card? Don’t worry, the employees go around waking everyone up in the morning.
- For your outdoor area: folding table for eating / playing games, lawn chairs, welcome mat (just kidding…kind of), picnic blanket for sprawling out on your parking spot.
- For your mental sanity: board games, books, snacks and drinks (CFA will feed you but you may want a little extra for when you decide to bored eat), portable chargers, clothing layers in case it’s meant to get cold that evening, and if you’re feeling extra extra you should bring your iPad with your downloaded Netflix choices for the day. No time like the present to binge the entire new Strangers Things!
I know, it looks like a lot. But the seasoned veterans go all out, and I promise you won’t look silly hauling all these things for one night. Once you’ve unloaded your car, you’re locked-in on the property; if you leave (even to go to your car) you’re disqualified from the promotion. You can’t leave until 6am on Grand Opening Day. Pack everything you think you *may* need. When it doubt, pack it!
You’ll have access to CFA’s bathroom facilities, so no need to bring a shovel to dig your own latrine. That being said, it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to pack extra deodorant and a toothbrush. Just ’cause you’re urban camping doesn’t give you an excuse to forget you are a functioning, contributing member of society.
Welp, there you have it. It’s seriously that easy! I’d do it again in a heartbeat, and once my card runs through I’ll be looking out for the next opening. Check here to see if a Chick-fil-A is opening near you! Good luck y’all, it’s a jungle out there.